Friday, September 28, 2007

Another Season Ends

We closed camp for the season Sept. 8th. It was easy this year because I finally wised up and hired a plumber to turn off the water. (I figured it'll be cheaper that hiring him to fix the pipes when I screw up turning off the water myself.) We stuffed blankets and pillows in giant ziplock bags and spread clothes dryer sheets around. I put out a couple of small packages of d-con on top of and behind the refridgerator. I had a running battle with something on top of the refridgerator all season and I finally had had enough. (Every weekend there had been what my mother calls 'calling cards' on top of the refrid. I' d wash it with clorox wipes and we'd be good for the weekend but then the next Friday, they'd be back.) I wasn't feeling good so we didn't stall around, just did what had to be done and hit the road. We were on our way home by 11am. About 45 minutes later I noticed the windshield wipers were acting funny, slowing down, and nothing happened when I pushed on the gas. We coasted down the mountain and finally stopped about 15 miles north of Poland. Luckly, there was a house across the road that had cars in the driveway and garage. They were very nice people, letting me use their phone to call AAA. They helped me bring my mother and dog into their house. They even put their cat out so it wouldn't bother Teddi!! AAA sent a towtruck and I called our neighbors at camp to come pick us up. We made it home around 2:30 in the afternoon, $93 (for the tow truck)poorer. By Tuesday the car had a new altenator and new battery and I had a monetary goal for the craft shows!

This weekend is Pumpkin Fest in Cooperstown. There will be a weigh-in for pumpkins, gourds and watermelons, with the winner getting a nice check. ($1000+!!) Those monsters weigh-in over 500 lbs, with the winners over 1000! There will be a craft show, 'make-it take -it' crafts for kids and food. All in the parking lot of Doubleday Field. It happens right in front of our shop so we have an increase in customers that day. I'm ready for that with sweater sets and pumpkin hats! I did a very nice Aran set that I'm quite proud of. Of course that means it won't sell right away!!

Next weekend is Applefest at the Barringer Rd School in Ilion. I'm not ready for that and if Pumpkinfest is very good I'm going to be a no-show in Ilion. I hate doing that, but if I don't have a full table what can I do?

No comments: