Monday, June 11, 2007

Cooper Country

I finished putting together those komono-type cotton sweaters my mother had made, and they ended up looking pretty cute. I had trouble with the edging, couldn't make sense of the crochet directions for awhile then suddenly it all made sense. Could be the time of night it was, who knows? While I was working at the shop (Cooper Country) in Cooperstown Saturday, I was talking with a customer about knitting and she told me how she uses short cables instead of ribbing to jazz up an otherwise plain sweater. I tried it and it really does look great! Have I done 10 minutes on the shop yet? It's a co-op in it's 34th year. I've been involved for over 20 years and we actually have 1 member who's been there the entire time! We're all scheduled to work a certain number of days during the year which determines our commission. There aren't any other fees and to the general public, the shop is just a gift store with hand-made articles. We have about 20 members this year which is low for us. (We do better with 2 or 3 more.) If you're ever in Cooperstown, stop in and see us. We're open April thru Christmas, 10am-5pm, and we're located next to the batting range in the Doubleday Field Parking lot. Besides my knitting, we have a weaver, a quilter, a candlemaker, basketmaker, woodcarver, potter, decorative painters, woodworkers, rustic woodworker, silversmith, glassmaker, stuffed animal maker who uses recyled real fur coats and more! It's a real treat to stop in!

No comments: